Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Review - The Seeding

 The Seeding (2024)


Director: Clay Barbaby
Writer: Clay Barnaby
Stars: Scott Haze, Kate Lyn Sheil
Where to Watch: VOD

Synopsis: A man finds himself trapped in a desert canyon with a woman living off-grid who is captive to a pack of sadistic boys.

Thoughts: As a horror movie aficionado I subject myself to all kinds of horrific scenarios. I think part of the fun is determining what I would do if I was in the situation that these poor, unlucky folks are that I'm watching on screen. Being stalked by a killer? Kill him first! Being haunted in a house? Burn that house down! I kid, but you know exactly what I mean. We all do it. We sit in our safe homes and yell at the tv, instructing those unsuspecting victims exactly what we think they should do to survive. 

But watching this movie? I had nothing. This guy is stuck at the bottom of a giant canyon with a woman living in a shack house.  He was led there by design. And he is kept there  by a dozen or so feral boys. It was a very unsettling watch, me feeling as trapped as the man whose life as he knew it was just taken away from him, with no hopes of escape. But I kept rooting for him. Build a ladder! Make some climbing shoes! Find a cave! But sometimes fucked it just fucked.

The whole movie is essentially a two-person show in one location. It would make a really compelling, stage play, you know, for twisted people like me. I do love plays but not many of them are created for the horror-loving audience. 

The "twist" is revealed in the second act but it's not much of a twist. It's a movie that we've all seen a dozen times but we just haven't seen it done this way. The third act imagery is just fantastic. It really goes from quiet and unsettling to full on fucked. And the last shot of the film - *chef's kiss*. 

4 out of 5  💀s

No comments:

Post a Comment